Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring sugar substance in the skin that provides a base for your skin by holding together structural components such as collagen and elastin. It also has an important role in retaining moisture as it binds to water and is able to absorb 1000x its weight! Naturally occurring HA is short lived and as we age natural production of it slows down. By age 25 we have lost 50% of our HA and its absence becomes evident in our late 30s and early 40s. Preserving or regaining HA keeps our skin supple and youthful and decreases the appearance of sagging and wrinkles.
Juvéderm® is a family of injectable HA dermal fillers that can provide 9 months to 2 years of correction to moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds of the face. Each product in the line features different strengths of bonding and concentrations of HA and is used to target specific issues when injected into different areas and depths. Juvéderm® fillers have a smooth gel-like texture and contain lidocaine for comfort to numb the treatment area. Eventually the product is broken down by the body and reabsorbed entirely.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO HAVE JUVÉDERM?
- People with a known hypersensitivity to hyaluronic acid
- People with an allergy to lidocaine
- People with a history of autoimmune disease and/or on immunosuppressant medications
- People with a tendency to develop hypertrophic scars
- Women who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding
- To aid in preventing bruising: Do not consume alcoholic beverages at LEAST 24 hours prior to treatment. If medically able, avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications and supplements such as Asprin, Vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John's Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS that have a blood thinning effect for a week prior to the treatment.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to any special event.
- Discontinue Retin-A 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Re-schedule your appointment if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish in the area.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know as anti-viral medication may be recommended.
- Be sure to have a good meal - food and drink prior to the procedure to decrease the chance of becoming lightheaded during the procedure.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The entire treatment will take between 15 -60 min. After the consultation, should you choose to go ahead, your make-up will be removed and your face cleansed with an anti-septic. The injection sites are marked with a marking pencil. Depending on the area, topical anesthetic is applied and we wait until the skin is numb. The injections are given with a very fine needle and the markings are removed following. You will notice immediate results but the should not be considered the final effect for 2 weeks.
POST TREATMENT CARE
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours
- Avoid extensive sun/heat exposure
- Avoid the use of alcohol for 24 hours
- Avoid the use of a straw if you've had a lip injection
- Avoid the use of irritants such as glycolics, acid and retinoids until all the swelling/redness resolves
- Avoid massage in the treatment area or with your face in a massage cradle for 2 weeks
- Avoid sleeping face down for 2 weeks
- No facials, facial massage, facial laser treatments or microdermabrasion for 2 weeks after Juvéderm®. Most treatments can be done immediately before placement of Juvéderm®. Botox may be injected immediately before or after Juvéderm®.
- Take Tylenol only for discomfort. Avoid blood thinning medications until any swelling or bruising subsides.
- Make-up may be applied gently as long as the skin is not broken or irritated and a new applicator tool is used. The area can be gently cleansed with mild soap and water.
- Initial swelling after a lip treatment may last longer than other treatment areas, up to a week. Lips may swell unevenly and/or the swelling decrease unevenly and this should not be viewed as a final result.
- It is common to experience redness, swelling, bruising, tenderness, tingling, numbness, lumpiness and/or feeling of pressure or fullness in the injection sites and/or treated areas. Cold gel packs/ice may be GENTLY applied to reduce swelling in short 5 min sessions to a max of 4 times per hour.
Here at Estevan Laser, your Juvéderm and Botox treatments earn you points in Allergen's Brilliant Distinctions Program!